"Most people think they know what they are good at. They are usually wrong...And yet, a person can perform only from strength." - Peter Drucker
My passion is STRENGTHS FINDER.
Okay....sooo...I was given this book, "Strength's Finder 2.0" by my mom for Christmas. First, you read the first couple chapters of the book. It explains how managers focus on the things employees do that need improvement instead of focusing on the strengths of each individual. We devote more time to our shortcomings than to our strengths. A misguided maxim, the book states is:
"You can be anything you want to be, if you just try hard enough."
This is something that is embraced at an early age. And I admit...I believed it too. I wanted to be a pharmacist, tried extremely HARD to get into pharmacy school. The science classes were like a foreign language to me....yet I YEARNED to master them! It was amazing to me how other students JUST KNEW IT! HOW!!!!
After reading this book......my eyes opened.
"Each person has greater potential for success in specific areas, and the key to human development is building on who you ALREADY ARE."
After taking the quiz and learning more about my strengths: responsible, futuristic, maximizer, empathetic, and competitor. I learned how to put these strengths to use....and how to be a SUCCESS (haha....I guess I'm on my way...but it's amazing how the book expands on these traits.) I'd love to hear what everyone who reads this finds out from the Strengths Finder book. Please comment once you take it!
This book is awesome! I mean....yeah....everyone knows what they do best. But it's pretty neat to focus on the good things instead of focusing on how to be better at things which you fail....which you know you are bad at. How about focus on what you are already good at and then it is easy to BE THE BEST!
I'll close with this and maybe it sounds more accurate:
"You CANNOT be anything you want to be -- but you CAN be a lot more of who you already are."
"Some people know what they are good at, but they are usually wrong and perform from strength." Very True
ReplyDeleteI truly believe Children know what they are good at. It is only the lack of support, fear from ridicule, and the inabilities of the families financial positions that send children into repression of becoming GREAT at what they are good at. It is only Adults that perform from strength. I believe it is hard for a lot of adults to find that strength too. Advice: If you are PLANNING to have children, start them a savings NOW. PLAN to help them get great at what they are good at, before they are even born. Even if it is $5 a week. So when they become adults, strength is only a bonus in gaining success. I wish I would have PLANNED more for my children, but I was too busy performing on strength after I turned 18. It is only now at 41 that I figured it out. I have the help from Grandma and Grandpa, thank God, to help my Children be great at what they are good at. But a lot of us wont get that net. I save every week now for my children so when it's their turn around they can help their children be great at what they are good at. God has given us the strength to rebound but wouldn't it have been nice to use that strength when you wanted to and not out of necessity?